Bill Hybels, founder and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church, a Church of around 25,000 people, across eight Chicago congregations, kicked off this year’s summit. I’m watching the Chicago based event from a host site, Bayside Church in Granite Bay, Northern California. Hybels is the best selling author of more than 20 books. He shared many brilliant things in the opening remarks about planting leadership seeds.
Here’s his five point challenge to us as leaders;
1. Take 15 minutes a day to sit in a chair and reflect on your life. Read, reflect, pray and surrender.
2. Make this year be the year of the grander vision. Address a deep human need in your community. Go deeper. Mere financial success should bore you.
3. Have you measured the health of your organization? Measure the culture, and find out how you can make it better ?
4. Do you have a personal betterment plan for your own leadership?
5. Are you leading on the home front, as well as, at work? If not, do you need to make a course correction.